For the past several years, I have participated in jewelry design challenges that were organized by my fellow EtsyMetal members.
- 2010 was the RAD challenge: Ring-A-Day
- A group of international artists accepted the challenge to create, photograph and upload (to a flickr photo group) one ring per day for the entire year. This was a wildly successful challenge which also inspired an exhibition and a book! Sadly I could not finish the entire year, but I made it through 100 days and had several of my rings included in both the exhibition and the book!
- 2011 was the RAW challenge: Ring-A-Week
- A similar challenge to the one above but weekly instead of daily. Once again, I could not finish the entire year and only made it through 18 out of the 52 weeks.
- 2013 was the BAW challenge: Brooch-A-Week
- I don't know why I thought I could manage enough time to make 52 brooches. It sounded like a good idea at the beginning but I only made it through week 5! LOL!
Despite the fact that I have never been able to fully complete any of these challenges, I still feel like they were successful endeavors. They are always a great source of inspiration, rejuvenation and motivation. I believe they help me grow as an artist and a jewelry designer. So-----Despite my lack of follow through in the past, I have decided to participate in yet another jewelry design challenge this year.
- 2014 is the Rx3 challenge: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle from all the stock in the studio.
- I will attempt to create one jewelry piece every week for the entire year using old stones, pieces-parts, half finished projects, old sketches, etc. Below are my first two pieces of this year's challenge:
Stay tuned to see how this challenge continues...