Mixing prints can be intimidating.---No one wants to look like a clown when out on the town, right?! Polka dots and stripes are a good place to start when venturing into these unchartered fashion waters. Here are a few simple tips on mixing these simple yet bold patterns:
- Stay within the same color family (too many colors = clown).
- Pair up pieces with different scales. (Wide stripes with small dots -or- thin stripes with large dots.)
- Pair a lighter piece with a darker piece (within the same color family).
- Use an accessory to add one of the patterns. (A polka dotted scarf, handbag or tights with a stripped blouse and a solid pant or skirt.)
- When mixing black and white (one of the easiest and most stunning ways to mix polka dots and stripes) add a single punch of color to create interest. (A red belt or a yellow handbag for example.)